Since I’m a planner, a goal setter, a master budgeter, I think I had just as much fun planning for this trip as I did actually taking it. Ok, that’s a stretch, but I did enjoy planning for this trip a LOT. We had only 10 months to plan, which is plenty of time, but we had fun every day hunting for deals. We got these amazing backpacks during a REI deal of the day for just $40 and decided it was the only bag we would take. This one is similar. We got that and a purse for a carry-on. Make sure your purse is safe for travel, it zips in every area, and you can wear it cross body. No easy reach in spots, no strings as straps that can be easily cut. We had no trouble with thieves but I read horror stories. Be safe!
Clothes to pack for 11 Days: I also got mesh sacks to keep categories separated so I didn’t have to dump everything out at once. Lifesaver!
- 4 bottoms. This counts hiking leggings, 2 pairs of jeans, and shorts.
- 3 kinds of shoes. Ballet flats to dress up or down, sandles, and hiking shoes that were also walking shoes.
- 2 workout shirts/tank tops. We hiked a LOT. So remember: cotton is rotten (stinks fast). Bring synthetic fiber shirts.
- 6 tops total. 1 fancy, 2 tanks, 1 t-shirt, 2 undershirts.
- 1 dress. Something that rolled up small, and didn’t wrinkle.
- 7 undies & 3 bras. (We did do laundry on day 5 thank goodness.)
- 1 pair of tights to wear under a dress or under my shorts.
- 1 Swimsuit (that didn’t get used.)
- 1 set of PJ’s. Which was just leggings or spandex shorts with tank tops.
- 1 scarf. It was August but the plane was COLD. My scarf doubled as a travel blanket.
- 5 pairs of socks
- 1 Jacket for accessorizing
- 1 Lightweight raincoat for hiking. (We got ours for $20 a piece! Steal!)
- 2 Sweaters. I chose 1 black hoodie and 1 black cardigan
- Small, roll up, quick drying, microfiber towel.
- Smaller Fold Up Purse – Cross Body – for small day trips.
- Baggu Bag for shopping around town – no plastic wasted or needed!
PRO TIP: Wear your heaviest and bulkiest items on the plane so you don’t have to pack them!
I researched Pinterest and many travel blogs and came up with what was needed for the plane Carry-on:
- Book to read / Sketchbook / pencils & pens
- Water Bottle that doubled as a hot mug. I got this one.
- Chargers / Headphones
- Travel Plans / Printed Itinerary
- Sunglasses / Eyeglasses
- Earplugs / sleep mask / inflatable pillow (which I barely used)
- Gum and mints (you want to feel fresh after a 10-hour flight)
- Wallet / Passport / Cash / Cards
- Snacks and Teabags
- Extra Zip Lock bags for convienience.
In a smaller zip up bag inside my carry-on/purse:
- Asprin (all pills went in a small ziplock – no bottles)
- Contacts / Case
- Plug in Converter
- Small Lotion
- Emery Board – cardboard. I HATE having chipped nails.
In a small bag inside of my large backpack for toiletries:
- Travel sized toothbrush
- A half used tube of toothpaste
- Face Moisturizer, sample size
- Daily Vitamins
- Travel Hair Spray
- Mini Straightener
- Travel Sized Shampoo and Conditioner
- Hair Ties / Bobby Pins / Cotton Balls
- Face Wash and Face Wipes
- Makeup Essentials – just a few items, not the whole bag.
- Deodorant – Travel Size
- Hair Comb
I hope this helps some people planning a long trip abroad or with limited space! What could you not live without on a long trip?