I’m always looking for fast “grab and run” food to make ahead of time. Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day and I can’t skip it! Pre-made foods lets me sleep in just an extra few minutes when I need it before running out the door. But what healthy, well balanced grab and go foods are there? These cookies are healthy (in my opinion) easy to make, and easy to modify.
This recipe came from Martha Stewart Magazine, but I’ll give you the version that I use based on the recipe I’ve played with.
- 4 cups whole wheat flour (or 2 cup each whole wheat and all purpose)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 4 sticks unsalted butter (I use 3 parts Greek Yogurt 1 part coconut oil. NO BUTTER)
- 3 cups packed dark brown sugar (use less if you desire but brown sugar adds some great flavor)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups rolled oats
- THEN THE FUN STUFF!
- 1 cup total seeds like pumpkin and raw sunflower or nuts (like pecans or walnuts)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup raisins or craisins or currants or dried blueberries.
- 3/4 cup finely chopped other dried fruit (apricots, mango, papaya etc.)
- 1 cup dried fruit chips (strawberry, banana, etc.)
I also add some flax seed meal, ground almonds, a scoop of vanilla protein powder and you can even add Chia Seeds at the last minute.
- Preheat the oven to 350. Whisk together flours, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Beat butter in a large bowl with a mixer till light and fluffy. Add sugar, beat until well combined. Add eggs, 1 at a time until combined.
- Slowly add flour mixture, and beat until well combined. Add oats, almonds, seeds, coconut, and other goodies (minus the dehydrated chips) and beat to combine.
- Form dough into either 8 different – 1 cup size monster cookies or 16 smaller cookies with 1/2 cup measuring cup. Place on parchment lined baking sheets. Top with dehydrated chips and bake for 25-35 minutes. Cookies can be stored in airtight container for up to a week.
Perfect for kids too (they may think they are eating a delicious sweet snack and it’s really quite healthy!) Enjoy!